The pandemic and the associated economic crisis have had a severe impact on Indiana. The need for action is clear:
• Since the pandemic began, more than 667,000 people have been infected with COVID-19 and more than 12,700 people have died.
• The unemployment rate is 4.6%, up from 3.2% before the pandemic.
• Since February 2020, more than 60,500 fewer people are employed.
• 493,000 adults – 11% of all adults in the state – report not having enough food to eat. This includes 225,000 adults living with children, or 14% of all adults living with children, who report that the children in their household do not have enough to eat.
• An estimated 237,000 renters or 19% of renters are not caught up on rent.
• An estimated 1.7 million adults or 36% of all adults statewide report having difficulty covering normal household expenses.
President Biden’s American Rescue Plan will provide Indiana with:
• $3.2 billion in state fiscal relief
• $2.5 billion in local fiscal relief
• More than $2 billion in relief for K-12 schools
• Economic impact payments of up to $1,400 per person (above the $600 per person provided in December) for more than 4.3 million adults and 1.7 million children. This is 91% of all adults in the state and 89% of all children in the state. • Additional relief of up to $1,600 per child through the Child Tax Credit to the families of 1.5 million children, lifting 80,000 children out of poverty
• Additional relief of up to nearly $1,000 through the Earned Income Tax Credit to 383,000 childless workers, including many in frontline jobs
• Marketplace health insurance premiums that are $1,260 lower per month for a 60-year old couple earning $75,000 per year
Copyright © 2021 Cass County Democratic Party. Paid for by the Cass County Democratic Party.